Friday, May 10, 2019

Message sent to Iran on a Stick

Iran is a land full of poetry, food, music and contradictions. On my first visit two years ago I was mesmerised by its art, history and people. Our tour guide that year regaled us with tales from the glorious days of Cyrus, Darius and Xerxes, the rulers of the first and the greatest Persian empire.


All except for the final paragraph.
Here it is.


Then I stood and told him how much we all admired his great poet, his great country and his great humour and that I had a gift for him from a great people of the great south land.
With Noongar message sticks firm and safe in the in the hands of three of Iran’s finest, there was only one thing left to do. Recite my favourite Hafez.

I Got Kin - Hafez

Plant
So that your own heart will grow.
Love
So God will think,
“Ahhhhhh, I got kin in that body!
I should start inviting that soul over
for coffee and rolls.”
Sing
Because this is a food our starving world needs.
Laugh
Because that is the purest sound.







No comments: