Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Doust Files - Albany Advertiser 25/9/201



THIS IS MY LAST COLUMN FOR THE ALBANY ADVERTISER.
REASON GIVEN: "COST CUTTING".

A lot of people who once loved Germaine Greer now think she is a grumpy old woman. Having recently spent four days in her orbit I feel ready to offer a few impressions.

Germaine and I attended the Brisbane Writers’ Festival where she gave the opening address and proceeded to ridicule the festival, Brisbane and all Queenslanders.

Twitterdom during Germaine’s talk was littered with counter insults from audience members.
As for me, I was amused. I even laughed out loud on three occasions. Why? Because whenever I see Germaine on the smaller screen or hear her on the radio I am forever reminded that she was in the Cambridge Footlights Review with a plethora of English comedy greats.

I always imagine that Germaine is having fun with us, and at our expense. Even if she isn’t, it makes no difference to me.

Two nights later she sat next t Bob Katter and on the same side of a debate: Is reading the bible good for you.

Bob and Germaine argued yes, it is. I’d like to reveal  Bob’s take but I can’t. His incoherent ramble was unintelligible. Germaine, however, was funny, eloquent, wise and, at least once, a bit silly.

But there’s more.

I watched Germaine walk and it lead me to believe that she is in a lot of pain and the day after her opening address I was lucky enough to share a table with her in the writers’ green room.

Over lunch and conversation I decided she could be a bit grumpy, somewhat arrogant, condescending and, yes, a bit of a know it all.

For all that, I still look forward to her next comic turn.

And, by the way, this is my final column. Thanks for listening.

No comments: